Thursday, December 2, 2010

Going Well!


We left Qingdao yesterday after a full day of sightseeing and another big lunch with the government officials and people from the orphanage.  It is a bit funny to think I am spending so much time with Communist Party members, especially if you know how I feel about Communism!  However, people are people all over the world regardless of political views.


Qingdao is a beautiful city.  It reminds me a bit of San Francisco.  I am sure we will be going there again on holiday in the future, so we better learn to like it.  Chen Qian is doing so well.  She uses chop sticks like a pro.  She can eat a bowl of noodles and rice without spilling anything.  And it is hilarious to see her pick up a whole shrimp, rip off its head and peel the tail in seconds flat.  She will fit right in with the rest of my shrimp eaters at home.  According to our guide, she has a very strong local dialect and accent (even he can't always understand her).  The word for shrimp is "sha", but she pronounces it "saw".  So, we don't always understand each other, but my Chinese is coming back and I am doing quite well.  We can communicate with each other very well - it is pretty cool.  Char is even learning some Chinese.  She is getting very good at understanding when Chen Qian has to go potty - which literally seems like every 30 minutes.  We think she just likes to go to the bathroom.  Althought Charlotte is getting quite tired of dealing with squatty potties!



There has been no crying for 2 whole days.  She is not  "eagerly looking for my mama" anymore (which really cuts down on the questioning stares from people around us)!  She readily calls for Charlotte as "Mama" and me as "Baba" Frequently we hear "gaga, Mama" or "gaga, Baba" - which means, "look" or "watch what I am doing".  She has bonded with us so well, which can be a real concern with toddlers.  And, she has no interest in going with other people, which can also be a concern regarding attachment issues.  She will always take Char's hand and not let her out of her sight.  She will sometimes take my hand, but I am never allowed to put her on my shoulders, that honor is reserved for Charlotte alone.  I'd like to help out, but I have not yet earned that right.  Not sure if I ever will.  She is Mama's girlie. 

We are a bit tired of getting scolded by all the Chinese "grandmas" on the street that we don't have her dressed warmly enough.  Last night we were waiting on the sidewalk for our guide to bring the van around and were soon surrounded by not less than 5-6 women who all wanted to know if we were "mama" and "baba".  One grandma told Chen to put up her hood, which she obiedently did  (she already had a hat on).  We think they were also trying to tell us that we should have more than just one set of pants on her (they would have probably put her in snowpants as well).  At one point we think they were asking her if she wanted to go home with them -- but she said no, she wanted to stay with us.  I have to say I was thankful when the van arrived.

Chen Qian is so clever and cute and beautiful and funny.  I am not sure how we could be so lucky to have been given Chen Qian.  The director from the orphanage said she thinks Chen Qian and I look alike, which means we had some connection in a prior life.  We agreed that this was meant to be.  As well as things are going, this was God's plan for all of us, even before we knew it.

So, thanks to all for your continued prayers for continued bonding and safety of travel.  Tomorrow we go to Guangzhou for the rest of our time.  Here we finish up paperwork with the US consulate, health checks etc before we leave for home next Saturday.  She has a nasty cough, so please pray that she does not have TB and that it is just a cold.  We might have to stay two more weeks if she does.

Send us a note - we would love to hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. Hi guys!! This is so awesome to read! Once I caught sight of the link to your blog in the church news online - I was in! I'm happy to hear the bonding is going well. :) I'll be praying for your safe travels & lots more bonding (and less scolding from bystanders...).
    ~Alicia Boaman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear that things are going as well as they are. So nice to see more pictures and we're anxious to meet our newest little granddaughter! You continue to be in our prayers. Grandpa Jim and Grandma Lila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you from back home.

    Grace and peace for all of you as you prepare to come home with your daughter. The boys and grandpa are behaving well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blooming Glen prayers abound! We are all praying for your safety and for the continued bonding with Chen Qian. What a marvelous opportunity you have to get acquainted in her homeland. This is such an important time and you are making the best of it! I can't wait to meet this sweet girl and watch her grow up in BG's loving embrace. I am especially pleased to hear that you will return to China and give her the opportunity to keep her heritage alive in her mind's eye. Thanks for sharing your blog! Warmest regards, Robin Long

    ReplyDelete